Tuesday 9 November 2010

Nostalgia Moment - Old Newcastle vs New Newcastle

I never go to Newcastle anymore, and here's why;

1).  I can shop online, or go to the Metrocentre which is easier to get to and has free parking.
2).  I don't work there anymore.
3).  I don't have a season ticket at NUFC anymore.
4).  The Metrocentre has a cinema.
5).  Getting in and out is a nightmare unless you live on a metro route.  Is even worse as a driver now High Level is one way and taxi only.
6).  There is no where in Newcastle that I am really that bothered about restaurant wise. 



So all in all, the idea of going into Newcastle these days actually makes me shudder a little bit.  Saying that though, I do actually love the place and it has changed in many positive ways over recent years.  I don't think that anyone could argue that the following additions have been anything but good for the city;

1).  The business complexes at Sandgate and St Anns Wharf on the Quayside.
2).  Old Co-Op Warehouse converted into Malmaison.
3).  Old Baltic flour mill transformed into Art Gallery.
4).  Addition of the Sage Centre.
5).  Demolition of Westgate House (hopefully to be followed one day by Commercial Union House on Pilgrim Street)  Think that's what it is called anyway?  Big building on stilts that come out into the road!
6).  The Gate.
7).  Redevelopment of St James' Park. First to 36,000 and ultimately to 52,000.
8).  The new Debenhams/Waitrose (although it has been so long since I have been to Newcastle I haven't actually seen these yet).  I have heard they are good though.
9).  The Millennium Bridge.

So, it's safe to say that the City has evolved in a good way.  However, I have to say that I miss old Newcastle - the one that I grew up with.  Today, Newcastle doesn't feel like my town anymore.  It feels like a place for tourists now.  I miss its old gritty personality and I have alot of fond memories of Newcastle as was.  Here are a few;




1).  Going with my Mam to meet my Dad from work at NEEB (Carliol House - Market Street) to do late night shopping on a Thursday.  We lived in South Shields at the time and we would sometimes get the bus, but often the train.  This was pre-metro.  I loved going on those old trains. 
2).  The smell of the brewery.
3).  Fenwicks window when it was still good!
4).  Buses on Northumberland Street.
5).  Worswick Street Bus Station.
6).  The Pencils in Eldon Square.  Anyone remember them.  I used to love playing on them, but annoying adults used to think they were for them to have a sit down which used to thoroughly annoy me (yes I was grumpy back then too)!!
7).  The Space Ship style cafe at Bainbridges (has that finally gone now actually)?
8).  Fenwicks toy fair circa 1983 when the Return of the Jedi merchandise took over practically the whole floor.
9).  The Quayside - pre Spender and his Cosworth (which was the start of the area becoming Yuppy-fied, and most certainly before its second transformation into a Tourist Attraction.
10).  Olivers sandwich shop!  I will never, ever, ever forgive Greggs for being there in its place!  They were the finest sandwiches in the world and they did a hell of a nice coffee too.  My Mam still has coffee cups from there to this day actually!

In summary though, life is about change. My parents no doubt have fond memories of a Newcastle before the one I knew.  So I guess Newcastle has to change and evolve otherwise it would be left behind, and those in the South would be accurate in their odd assumption that we live in some sort of dark ages up here.

And the next time I do reluctantly get dragged into the City Centre - well at least it has a Starbucks these days!  Although you can never bloomin well get sat down, and they take an age to give you your coffee!  But that's a rant for another day I think! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment