Wednesday 2 May 2012

Outlook is Cloudy


Online storage seems to be "The New Black".  If you are running out of disk space on your PC or laptop, then you now have a wide range of choices to store and easily access your data "in the cloud". Here's a quick rundown of what's out there right now and how they stack up against each other.


Google Drive


Google are the latest big name to enter into the cloud storage market, with Google Drive launching just last week.  Drive is strongly integrated with the existing Google Docs service and when you sign up you will get 5GB of free storage straight away.


It's still early days for Google Drive but it looks pretty good and I'm sure it will integrate well into Googles existing suite of products as they continue to battle with Apple for supremacy.


Platforms
Web 
Windows Application
Mac Application
Android App
iOS App is in the works


Storage Plans
5GB:Free 
25GB: $2.49(£1.54)/month 
100GB: $4.99/month 
1000GB: $49.99/per month



Dropbox


Dropbox has gained more than 50 million users since being founded in 2007, and it could be argued that they are the real pioneers when it comes to this sort of technology.  Many of the big names are taking their lead from Dropbox's impressive impact.  In fact, they have been so impressive that it's a surprise to me that one of the tech giants hasn't tried to acquire them as yet. 


Dropbox's desktop programs allow users to easily drag files into a folder rather than the far more time consuming method of uploading them. This sort of innovation has set the standard for emerging competitive cloud storage technology, and they were also at the forefront of developing apps for the major mobile operating systems.



Platforms
Web 
Windows Application
Mac Application
Android App
iOS App
Blackberry App


Storage Plans
2GB:Free (extra storage for referring others)
50GB: $9.99(£6.20)/month or $99/year 
100GB: $19.99/month or $199/year 
Unlimited: $795/year for five users and $125/year per additional user





MicrosoftSkyDrive


Like Dropbox, Microsoft's Skydrive has been around for quite some time.  Initially know as Windows Live Folders, Skydrive has had a slight restructure in recent weeks in terms of their storage options.  This brings them more into line with their competitors but they are still the cheapest when it comes to "paid for" storage

The major change is that all users were previously granted a very generous 25GB of free storage.  They have now dropped that down to 7GB.  However, if you were a Skydrive user prior to April 22nd 2012, then you get to keep your 25GB which is nice.

This is the platform that I have used the most so far, and I have found it a tremendous way to get the vast folders full of photographs off my laptop and into the cloud, and they remain easily accessible on my laptop, iPhone and iPad.  

One of the other great features of Skydrive is easy editing of Microsoft Office files.


Platforms
Web 
Windows Application
Mac Application
iOS App
Windows Phone
Windows 8 Consumer Preview


Storage Plans
7GB:Free 
27GB: £6/year 
57GB: £16/year 
107GB: £32/year

Box

Box is slightly different in that it seems to be directly aimed at the Enterprise Sector.  Founded in 2005, it was one of the very first cloud-storage services.

Providing a wide range of applications for desktop operating systems and browsers, in their own words "Box provides everything you need to collaborate on content online".

Box is the only technology in this list that I have not personally used - so I cannot really comment on it with any experience.  I do intend to familiarize myself with the product and may post a separate review on this Blog at a later date.

Platforms
Web 
Windows Application
Mac Application
iOS App
Android App
Blackberry App


Storage Plans
5GB:Free 
25GB: $9.99(£6.20)/month 
50GB: $19.99/month 
1000GB: $15 per user/month (minimum three users) 
Unlimited: prices vary






Apple iCloud


iCloud keeps photos, apps and music synced across separate devices. For example, a book purchased on the iPad will be open on the same page when it is opened on the iPhone. 



Apple also offers its iTunes Match service, which lets you backup any song in your iTunes library - not just those bought on the iTunes store - and download them onto other devices. 


iCloud is designed only for Apple's ecosystem, and is not as flexible as other online storage services. Only certain types of files can be stored.




Platforms
Windows
Mac
iOS


Storage Plans
5GB:Free 
15GB: £14/year 
25GB: £28/year 
55GB: £70/year 
iTunes Match: £21.99/year


Conclusions


Cloud technology is here to stay,  It's very early days but its only going to improve over time and there are going to be a lot more options to choose from I would guess.


For the here and now, the ones that I use on a daily basis are iCloud and Skydrive.  I like them both for what they can provide for me.


With iCloud, I love that I can take a picture on my iPhone, and it appears on my iPad and also on my laptop and Apple TV.  I also love that I can backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud and that I am no longer tethered to iTunes.  I am not so much of a music person, but I can see that iTunes match would  be very appealing to people who are.


Skydrive has given me the ability to easily move my photos from my laptop to my Skydrive folders, and their iOS apps for iPhone and iPad allow me to access my photos pretty much anywhere.  I am also very pleased that I was a Skydrive user before they took the free storage down to 7gb, I get to keep my 25GB (for the time being at least).  In addition to this, Windows 8 is just around the corner.  This, along with the ever improving Windows Phone platform means that Microsoft are going to be back with a bang in my opinion.  


More to come on Microsoft and WIndows 8 by the way in another post, but in the meantime - don't let hesitation "cloud" your judgement!


Peter  

1 comment:

  1. I'll add a comment just so it looks like someone is interested! :-)

    ReplyDelete