Thursday 13 September 2012

Creating a System Image in Windows 7

My luck with laptops seems to go in odd/even cycles. My last laptop was a Dell D630 and it never gave me any trouble over a period of four years. It was an absolutely cracking little laptop, and I always had the feeling that when I finally came to change it, that I would have nothing but trouble with the next one.

Well, I was right! I had only had my new Dell E6420 for about 3 months when suddenly it began crashing and restarting itself all the time. I ran a chkdsk and it found and repaired a lot of problems on the hard disk. This is usually a sign that the hard disk has had it.

So I ran the Dell Diagnostics tool, and despite the fact that I could still boot into Windows 7, the diagnostics could not even detect that the hard drive was present. So, Dell agreed to ship me a replacement hard drive under warranty.

This was all well and good, except that now I was going to have to rebuild my laptop from scratch. Not a quick task considering how finely tuned my laptop is with everything I need to do my job. I was quite demoralised at how long it was going to take me to find all of my programs and licences, and get my laptop back to exactly the way I liked it.

However, I then looked into the Backup and Restore options in the Control Panel of Windows 7. I saw that you have the option to create a system image, so I decided to give it a try.


I was able to choose between a hard disk, a set of DVDs, or a network location. I had a 500gb USB hard drive available to me so I decided to use this. It would not let me proceed because the drive was formatted as FAT32, so I had to reformat it as NTFS, and then I was able to start my image backup.


It took several hours to complete, but finally my 155gb image backup was safely on the hard drive, and at the end of the process it gives you the option to create a boot CD which I did.

I then installed the new hard drive into the laptop, booted using the CD I had just made, and the boot utility gave me the option to re-image my laptop using the image on the USB hard drive.

I was still very skeptical that this could work I must admit, and I left the re-imaging process to run as it said it could take several hours to complete. After about an hour, I went to make a coffee, and when I returned I saw that my laptop was waiting at the Windows 7 logon prompt.

I logged in, and amazingly everything was just as before! All my programs were there. All my files and folders were there, my desktop background, absolutely everything.

So I was very happy and very impressed. So my tip to you would be to always create a Windows System Image Backup in addition to any regular data backups you are doing. It could save you a whole lot of time and trouble if you find yourself in this situation.

Peter

1 comment:

  1. Try AOMEI Data Backuper to backup system drive/hard disk/aplications. It can also help you compress image file to reduce storage space and set password to image file. http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-data-backuper.html

    ReplyDelete